Git: Host Your Stuff On Github Pages
The goal of this exercise is to take advantage of diret hosting from your Github repo. At the end of this exercise, your portfolio will be online.
Part 1: Use Github Pages!
Create your gh-pages branch
- Go to your portfolio repo:
https://github.com/[your username]/[repo name].
- Click on the "Branch: master" button in the middle of the page.
- In the dialog that appears, type "gh-pages" and press the "Enter" key.
Configure your repo
- Still in your portfolio repo on Github, click on the "Settings" tab and then "Branches" in the left column.
- Under the "Default branch" section, select "gh-pages" from the dropdown list and click the "Update" button.
Part 2: Verify!
- Restart Github Pages and click on your portfolio repo from the left panel. Click on the branch button at the top. Notice that gh-pages is listed as the default branch. You will make your changes directly here from now on.
- Go to
http://[your username].github.io/[your repo]. Verify that your portfolio is online!